Thursday, April 16, 2009

Great Buys I


2005 Copeland Creek Vineyards Pinot Noir

Everytime I visit Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa off of Industrial Ave. I snoop for something off the beaten path, a wine quite possibly that none of the wine critics will crown (or should I say annoint) with a hefty 90+ point score. When I see the cue card boasting accolades from the Wine Advocate and other crowd pleasing wine pundits I swivel my cheeks 180 degrees and walk away. I'm over heavily oaked fruit bombs and high alcohol reds well on their way to fortified winedom. I scream for grit, grime, raw untamed wines at affordable prices with some terroir to boot.

On my way to the checkout, arms full with a few research specimens, I spotted my gem for the week. The 2005 Copeland Creek Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, sitting in a cut cardboard box with a long winded, laminated review from Santa Rosa's own The Press Democrat taped on below. Speeding through the first few lines I skipped the rest thinking "What the hell, let's giv'er a try." After all, the region was appealing enough, Sonoma Coast, the alcohol a good percent and a half lower (13.5 %) than many California Pinots, the vintage was slightly aged and most importantly the price was right: $22. Yeah, yeah I know. To your average Joe-the-shovel-leaner the pricetage appears a bit steep, but in California this almost seemed like a bargain. And to be fair many top CA Pinots are flying off the shelf at 60, 70 and 80 bucks a pop; Kosta-Browne, Flowers, and Hanzell are but a few. Not to meniton that this was my weekend and I was gonna enjoy it!

Copeland Creek's 2005 Pinot poured a light ruby color, immediately signalling to me that the wine had a feminine style, maybe making it a bit more subtle and alluring. The nose opened up immediately with dark cherries, spice and raspberry. The mouthfeel was silky smooth with velvety (or absent) tannins and a baked red berry and slight oak taste that lingered for a while with well balanced acidity.

Incredibly palatelable. It's refreshing to taste Pinot Noir that could be cracked even on a hot summer day. Buying a case of the '05 to savor over the next two years would be a wise decision indeed.

No comments: