Saturday, September 5, 2009

Barndiva Burgundy Bistro Birthday

Le Bistro

Hidden between the boutique shops on the northside of the plaza in Healdsburg sits Bistro Ralph. The food was delicious and the service top notch. Both Janet and myself selecting the Prix Fixe menus, my partenr picking the Salmon and myself the braised Pork Shoulder. Both entrees were cooked to a T, Janet's boasting fennel and figs with a white wine reduction and my braised pork bathed in a carmelized sauce swam in a sea of fava beans, thin garlic slices and minced chives. While my dish did not send me soaring into foodie euphoria, it transported me back to my grandmother's kitchen on a Sunday afternoon in the summer when we would all gather around to enjoy a roast that spent hours baking and filling the house. When it was time to eat the meat seemingly melted in your mouth. Rattatouille deja vu with yours truly Anton Ego leaving my criticism at home and simply basking in the moment.


Le Vin Rouge

Holy Crap! This Burgundy from Santenay smoked! For the last six months it has been seducing me at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, sitting on the shelf with SPCA puppy dog eyes, begging me to find it a good home. Finally(without doing my homework I must admit!) I took the plunge, hell it was my birthday after all so why not spend $35 (USD) and roll the die, take the plunge if you will. Produced by two brothers with a portion of the wine coming from 200 year old vines (what is the truth to this I could not tell you) the 2005 Lucien Muzard et Fils Primer Cru Santenay Maladiere was a bargain! The wine opened slowly showing herbaceous, maybe even tomato notes followed by perfumed red fruit. Subtle and alluring. The mouthfeel was balanced with great tart cherry acidity and a back end bolstered by an oak finish, which I imagine with fade and balance as the wine continues to show with age. Over the course of two hours the wine opened into a classic Burgundy style that vibrated in my mouth. Quite refreshing and a drastic departure from the voluptous, high alcohol, fruit forward Russian River Pinots the lined Bistro Ralph's wine list.

La Barndiva

"PRETTY LITTLE CASUALTIES. IN TEMPORARY TRAGEDIES. BORN FROM THE SAME PLACE
SELF DOUBT GROWS. COLD AND HOLLOW RED CARPET READY POSE
BUT AROUND HERE 'DIVA' AIN'T MUCH OF A COMPLIMENT" -D4

I am still amazed I ended up at Barndiva on my birthday. A cross-section of the clientle floated somewhere between slick affluent metrosexual and indy fashion victim. Possibly Healdsburg's unofficial hipster haven. Confused by the neon lights and eurotrash I began to peg everyone as foreigners in town for this years crush. French, Spanish, German, Somoan. As I crept closer, hoping to recognize the dialect or an accent I am sad to report they were all locals. Everyone except the three Argentinians who were in town on "vaccations." And that is how I lost a $20 bet.

Just like every year, you win some-you lose some.


No comments: