Monday, September 28, 2009

Updates and a Full Plate

I awoke early this morning with a case of the Mondays. This weekend might not have been incredibly strenous but there was a lot of running around and although we arrived home late last night, I was hellbent on grilling a rack of spareribs and two should chops of sonoma county lamb. Deelish!

Arriving at the pick this morning I dragged at a sluggish pace, the boys yelling and prodding me all to no avail. I was beat. Glenn asked if I had been drinking last night to which I cooly responded in my noreasterly mumble "Jan and I split a bottla Pinot." Which we did, but that was business as usual.

Jan was suffering a bit more than myself this morning cursing her early morning shift and declaring that all human beings should sleep in until at least sun up. For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion a few AARPers might diagree with her.

Overall a typical harvest day. Glenn picked the Sanglier Syrah from Kick ranch along with Grenache and Counoise for his Rose. There is something a bit unsettling about carting your bosses fruit off to the winery; you tend to look both ways two or three times and take your curves at a cautious pace. Not to say I don't do that anyway. My grannymobile is a good indication of my driving style: a sunday stroll to the chapel.

Check out: http://blog.sangliercellars.com/ for more.

In the afternoon we prepared for two night picks: ten tons of Pinot out in Graton and more Syrah that will be coming down at Kick.

That reminds me it is about time to take a shower and hit the hay. Tomorrow is a 2 am start as I will be driving a tractor with a light tower for one of the night picks. The random hours make harvest all the more of an adventure.


***

In other news, the Chardonnay pressed out by this morning as the Coquard rep and his handyman fixed a number of broken buttons and blown fusses. I can now rest easy that our fruit is currently cold soaking and awaiting a healthy innoculation. We should get results back from the lab tomorrow and make decisions on how much acid we would like to add back. Up with ACID, down with OAK!

Now the hunt is on to track down a ton of Syrah! Can't wait...

No comments: